Dance In The Park - Developing sister friends with tons of shades and more!

 

Video provided by: Davion Wright


My generation played marbles, gig, “dandi-shandi” and Chinese skip. If you were athletically inclined with some woodwork and mechanical skills you would build a scooter and carelessly ride down hill and push it back up the hill just for fun. If you were laidback and easy going or loved gabling, you would be engaged in bouncing elastics off a wall and try to capture your other punters elastic bands. However if you were an intellectual, you would be engaged in reading Nancy Drew and Hardy Boy, or solving puzzles that often take weeks or months. That is if by then, you have not lost pieces from the box gifted to you last Christmas. These games, be it solitary or in group, not only kept us engaged; but taught us survival skills. Today those old games can still be relevant like “paper bags!”

Something magical is happening here and I just have to share. “DIPT” is no “poppy show;” a new family is conjuring at the heritage house. This old plantation Devon House is rebirthing “Community Dance…!” Who would have thought that we would be playing “Dandi Shandi” with children who never heard of the game let alone know how to play it! Our youngest three (3) year old Zoya-Belle insisted on changing the rules of the game today! At that age and in an instance, she is able to hijack and change the rules of a historical game! I have got to acknowledge that this act of deviance and determination to change the game is the motivation I seek to re-capture, my little princess Zoya-Belle remind me today to keep and embrace my individuality!

It is also amazing to learn that I have been having a connection with the Babolal / Gordon family for six (6) years now and did not know. Their princesses are now a part of DITP. Kadia the oldest use to sneak into my class when she was two (2) years of age, and would get upset when the minders at the preschool tried to remove her! To learn that this child is now working with us at this time, during all the restrictions we are currently facing right now, is just awesome! Kadia brought an entourage that included her mom, sister and two (2) neighbours. Her sister Kacia is a dramatic artist, she’s not a groupie and really doesn’t need our instruction, but she politely tolerates her tutors, most importantly, she gives a little of her attention and ensure to change the narrative regardless of what the instructor wish to have. As far as she is concerned, a coordinated and somewhat well presented routine is not on her agenda. Kacia is determined to make her mark in this arena. Who are we to challenge that?

My returning students are tame compared to the above new students. They are all seasoned in the uncle Kofi dance discipline, except one (1). Miss Sayjay is our most critical student. She describes the activity as “Torture”, she is vocal and explicit, and I believe she replicate both her parents. My experiences with the family covers about six (6) or seven (7) years. We cannot mute Sayjah nor her mom Miss Cole! But to my team, the magic words are “Shut up and dance with me!” In the nicest way possible or you will create more drama than you bargained for.

The Rhoden twins! To this day, after four (4) or more years, I know both their names, but unable to distinguish the two (2) jewels. They are both very corporative and easy to work with. However though  they may seem demure and cordial, one has a temper. As long as they are happy and comfortable, they work well with us. Calida and Kamili as well as Sayjah are students of two (2) preschools I had worked with over the years. They have now graduated to primary schools. It is no wonder a parent, Miss Gordon describe the mood at DITP as “it feels like a family!”

Kaycelee is special to me because, though she is autistic, in this family, unless you pay keen attention you would never know. After years of separation she has not forgotten me. Kaycelee gives us an opportunity to explore "movement therapy" and I personally enjoy experimenting with my students when given occasion like this which encourages integration, tolerance and acceptance. Kaycelee's participation gives us an opportunity to be mindful of others and seeing this type of interaction gives me joy! In this moment I invoke Mary Wigman...!

Despite that I initially created this initiative for children three to twelve (3 - 12) years, it has evolved organically. Parents, grandparents, friends and strangers have been engaged in this DITP spectacle! They appear to need this type of outlet more than the children I created this event for.

Our supporters behind the scene also include: Mr. Dyer, The Purandas, Mrs. Shaw, my dearly beloved Mommy, our students, team members, Mrs. White and the Devon House security team! Thank you all for this magic! This would not be possible without your support! Community Dance and Music is wonderful, embrace it!

Love makes things happen – sign up here!



Comments

  1. Love the vibes and the energy. As a mother of a Child with special needs, I appreciate the patience and professionalism you have shown to my child . She looks forward every Saturday to be in your class ,dancing with her new friends. I look forward to the adult dance classes also,cant wait to move my hips and buss a sweat🤣👍🏼Great and talented Team members.Good job Kofi and Team 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment