Violence Against Women & Women’s Month

I wrote an essay about my mom and after reflection I refused to post it!? “Not everything good fi eat, good fi talk”! My mom's words reverberated in my head...! Perhaps that will be a part of my future book!

While many have been posting on social medias, their support to “Violence Against Women…!” I chose not to!

My decision is based on the fact that law enforcers are unable to give assistance to women; even when they come on the scene and see evidence of attack, injuries and abuse. My neighbor has been a victim of ongoing DOMESTIC ABUSE now for many years. This has escalated to physical injuries to a woman who is over 60 years old, by her own adult brother who is in his mid forties and works at a community college in Kingston as a grounds man.

On the night of the beating, I called the Stony Hill Police as well as 911. Eventually two policemen came out.  Of-course this is hours after the elderly woman whose head had been bludgeoned, hand fractured and face caked in blood streaks. The extent of the damages is incapable of being assessed in the night by ill equipped personnel's. Nevertheless the police said; not only can they not make an arrest unless the lady (press charges), but that "I" should “clean away the blood and that way I can see the the extent of the wound!”

As philosophical as one of the officer's statement might be, it was trivial, inappropriate and insensitive. Interestingly he knew who I was. He identified me by trying to place me in a box as a “dance teacher…!”, Somehow I kept saying to him, I teach “performing arts…!” In fact this is true!

What is the sense of posting images of “Stop-violence against women”, especially if I am hopeless at doing anything about my neighbor, who continues to experience physical and verbal abuse almost every day for years! Even to this day!

If we truly want to stop violence against women; when a man deliberately (hurts) brakes a woman’s arm/limb (with a rum bottle) and there is physical evidence; LOCK HIS RAAS UP! Stop pretending to be supportive of abused women, when you are giving criminals a reason to reoffend!

If for centuries we have been unable to protect our “children, women, men, societies, cultures… why is it necessary to have hope? Simply because change is inevitable.

To have hope is to realize the representation and protection for ALL citizens. Our matriarchs, siblings, neighbours and not just our country men, but we need to realize that our community extend beyond our borders. Therefore, we aught to be more considerate and offer support when needed.



Comments