Biko & Priyakshi Thank You!

 

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best!

I cannot thank Biko enough; and this extend to Mr. Thomas as well! I appreciate your love and support.

Priyakshi, welcome to Jamaica and thank you for your workshop with my students and  their parents in the “DANCE IN THE PARK” initiative. I sincerely hope that while you are here you will receive all the necessary support you need to accomplish your research task. Stay focused!

Sadly the day was not supported as well as we hoped. Nevertheless we made the day worked for our participants. On reflection I have begun to really appreciate this venture.

Tiana a 4 year old child, is the new star of the camp. What makes her stand out? It is not her dancing abilities nor do I think she has decided if she likes dancing that much. She is more interested in people. Tiana is from my remote community in St. Andrew but she socializes as though she has traveled the word. She engages with children younger than herself in the park, sharing her snacks, food and water. What intrigues me about this is she is an ambassador to the word “KINDNESS!” I am almost embarrassed pulling her away from some of her engagements with others in the park.

As I observed the lesson and saw Kaceylee responding to instructions, I couldn’t help but feeling annoyed at her mom for delaying her arrival to the session on time. I later discovered that mom had side effects from one of her beauty products. Whatever the difficulty, she reached and her participation added to the dynamics of the day.

My people from Harbour View did not let me down this week! Priyakshi’s adult session had good representation for film and documentation. Ladies, I really appreciate your efforts. You showed up!

Miss Agarwal, I cannot thank you enough. We will definitely retain the Indian Folk steps you have taught us and reproduce it for performance exhibition by the end of the month. JT. AKA “Biko” AKA “The Universal Ear” has been providing sound engineering for AIR-PAASA since 2012! We both share a passion for providing a platform that continue to be dynamic and an open space for anyone; adult or child, to learn as well as understand their connection to the arts.

Through these experiences, DITP (Dance In The Park) highlights that, the children seem to enjoy each other’s company more so outside of the teacher student interaction. They quickly bond over electronic games during periods for physical play. I really wish parent would refrain from bringing these electronics, toys and or dolls to the park, but this is the new normal! Gadgets are more fun!

Physical play, constructive and disciplined creative activities, should be sufficient enough. However, the gadgets have become more relevant! So it is now my challenge to incorporate this in my lesson plans. It can only “expand and improve knowledge”, according to my colleague Biko.

We are open to more support and attendance to our program. You can do so by attending one or more of our weekly sessions, subscribe to our revived YouTube Channel or make a donation to our activities.

Stay blessed throughout this difficult period.

Comments