Giving Thanks For An Opportunity To Serve

In February 2023, I was given an opportunity to work with a group of students from Castleton Primary and Junior High School (CPJHS)…! Within three months the group had a steady attendance of over 20 students.

CPJHS is one of many remote rural schools that plays a vital role in educating children and youths in hard-to-reach locations. Part of the peculiarity of this school and its community location, is the foot bridge that services this vast community. Crossing this bridge once a week since February invites recurring memories of my fear of heights as a child. Crossing this bridge also brings me in new territories, forcing interactions with the locals not involved in my mission, tentative yet pleasant encounters thus far.


I have had history with CPJHS; and am proud of how our relationship evolved since meeting Mrs. Kay-Ann Lee at a JCDC (Jamaica Cultural Development Commission) Competition in St. Mary in 2018. The parents have really stepped up to the plate. I set the challenge to ensure that by Child Month (May 2023) every child in the group should have dance gear and ASL gloves for their activities. With the help of 65% of the parents, my family and friends were able to give us the support we needed to achieve this targeted outcome. The community locally and throughout the diaspora, St. Maarten, Canada and the UK stepped in where needed. Thank you so much.

Of course, I had hoped that the event would have been supported more, nevertheless, I loved the content of our gathering. My mother and her best friend showed up despite that they were not in the best of health. Mrs. Taylor a very interesting soul and grand parent of children I taught at Jamaica House Basic School was present. Parents from the community such as Mrs. Patricia White from Maroon Town in St. Mary came and assisted me with the children prior to the retreat. Miss Latoya Collins, Miss Chantele Barton, Miss Shantalee Lindsay are parents who helped to pivot this initiative to success. I really appreciate too the staff of CPJHS Principal Mrs. Patricia White, my supervisor Mrs. Natalie Brown-Campbell, Miss Miller, Mrs. Lewis, Mr. Paul Grant, and Miss Hyacinth Lewis.

Regardless of the intent, what took place at the garden pleased everyone involved. I was happy NO major incident occurred with the twenty-six or so children who participated in this event. Except for one child who got stung by a bee. We had parents at hand to care for the trauma. Thank you Miss Collins.


The guest host Sharon Brissitt, a veteran of community dance, an unsung hero of the same in Jamaica was in support of this initiative, and I was most grateful to have her by my side on the day. While I am trying to make sure everyone is happy, Sharon is calmer than cucumber! Mr. Wilks brought three of his and Miss Brissett’s dance students from Port Maria Primary who were able to set an example to my students. In addition, both Sharon and I worked the children and parents on the day in such an organic way there was no need for a schedule of activities. Sir Wilks and Miss Brissett thank you both very much for being present. Children and people respond well to anyone who’s present when needed. And I salute you both for being there for me and the children when we request that we need you. Thanks very much!

Our activities on the day were met with challenges of-course…! However, this was a dance social and anthropological exercise with a successful outcome. Everyone enjoyed themselves…! I hope we continue to develop positively.

Our sponsors and supporters

Thanks to the following persons who ensured that this event was a success:

· 

  • Patricia White (CPJHS Principal)
  • Kay-Ann Lee (CPJHS Teacher)
  • Natalie Campbell (CPJHS Teacher)
  • Julia Brown
  • Patricia Massiah
  • Stacy Walker
  • Katryna Lawson (Mushrooms Swimwear)
  • Joseph Lewis (Bethel Training Institute)
  • Fr. Collin Henriquez (Immaculate Church & Missions)
  • Dr. Paul Skyers
  • Francis Whitter
  • Jermain Thomas (AKA Biko DJ)
  • Castleton Botanical Gardens Management team

Finally, I want to thank Mrs. Lydia Puranda, Dr. Claudette Clarke, Paula Shaw, Claudia Gordon, Andrea Reid and my Mom; you have continued to be a beacon and guide that have kept me focused on these small achievements that means a lot to me. Your love and guidance have a lasting effect on the lives of the children and community I have been given an opportunity to serve!

Thank you


 

Comments